ACD Logistics Pte. Ltd. was fined $18,500 by the Court today for illegally importing meat and seafood products from Philippines.
2. On 10 September 2021, Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) officers at the Changi Airfreight Centre detected a consignment of assorted meat products declared as “assorted foodstuff” imported by ACD Logistics Pte. Ltd. from Philippines without a valid import permit. The case was referred to the Singapore Food Agency (SFA) for investigation.
3. SFA found approximately 500kg of meat and seafood products illegally imported from Philippines. The company is also licensed only for the import of processed food and food appliances. The illegal food items were seized.
Illegally imported meat and seafood products were seized. (Photo: SFA)
4. In Singapore, food imports must meet SFA’s requirements. Illegally imported food products of unknown sources can pose a food safety risk. Food can only be imported by licensed importers, and every consignment must be declared and accompanied with a valid import permit. In addition, meat and its products can only be imported from accredited sources in approved countries that comply with our food safety standards and requirements.
5. Offenders who import meat products illegally from unapproved sources or found in possession of meat products for the purpose of selling, which were imported without a valid import permit shall be liable on conviction to a fine of not exceeding $50,000 and/or imprisonment of up to two years. In the case of a subsequent conviction, offenders shall be liable to a fine not exceeding $100,000 and/or imprisonment of up to three years.
6. Safeguarding Singapore’s borders remains a top priority for ICA. ICA will continue to conduct security checks to detect and deter illegal importation attempts so as to keep Singapore safe. SFA will continue to safeguard food safety through our integrated food safety system, which includes strict import regulations and enforcement, and work closely with border control agencies to deter illegal import across our borders.
SINGAPORE FOOD AGENCY
IMMIGRATION & CHECKPOINTS AUTHORITY
24 MAY 2023