Back to top

Response To “Parents’ Long-Term Visit Passes have no address” (The Straits Times, 19 November 2021)

The Straits Times  
23 November 2021 

Dining out issue • Long-term pass holders can show address on Singpass app or MyICA online portal 

We refer to Mr Lim Cheng Kooi’s letter, “Parents’ long-term visit passes have no address” (Nov 19). 

The long-term pass (LTP) cards issued by the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA), such as the long-term visit pass and student’s pass, do not have the holder’s address printed on them.  

From next year, ICA will be rolling out digital LTPs progressively, in lieu of cards. The digital LTPs will show the holder’s address. 

For now, holders of ICA-issued LTPs can either use their Singpass mobile app (under My Profile – Personal), or login to the MyICA online portal at (under MyProfile), to present their registered address to establishments that require the information. 

The police do not process matters pertaining to address registration.  

Holders of ICA-issued LTPs are required to notify ICA if there is any change in their local place of residence, within 14 days of the change.  

They may approach their local sponsor or educational institution to update the address online at:

Information on how ICA-issued LTP holders can view their local address is available on ICA’s website and social media platforms: Facebook and Instagram. We have also contacted Mr Lim to address his concerns. 

Patrick Ong 
Head, Public Communications and Protocol 
Corporate Communications and Service Division 
Immigration and Checkpoints Authority 

<Original letter> 

The Straits Times 
19 November 2021 

Parents’ long-term visit passes have no address 

Now that Covid-19 restrictions have been relaxed to allow up to five fully vaccinated persons from the same household to dine out together, my family took my parents out to a neighbourhood restaurant recently. 

However, we were not aware that my parents’ long-term visit passes have no address printed on them, and had a hard time trying to prove that they live under the same roof as us. Unfortunately, we could not convince the restaurant of this, and my aged parents were told to dine separately or we all had to leave. What was to be happy night out turned out to be a nightmare. 

Out of desperation, I went to a police station for help to print our address to use together with my parents’ long-term passes but was referred to the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA).  

At ICA, an officer told me to refer the matter to the Ministry of Health, but did not explain why addresses are not shown on the passes. 

I don’t think I’m the only person facing this problem. 

Lim Cheng Kooi