Becoming a Permanent Resident

Back to top


As a foreigner, you may be eligible to apply for permanent residence if you are a/an:

  • Spouse of a Singapore citizen or Singapore permanent resident (PR)
  • Unmarried child aged below 21 years old, born within the context of a legal marriage to, or have been legally adopted by, a Singapore citizen or PR
  • Aged parent of a Singapore citizen
  • Holder of an Employment Pass or S Pass
  • Student studying in Singapore
  • Foreign investor in Singapore.

NOTE: ICA considers factors such as the individual's family ties to Singaporeans, economic contributions, qualifications, age, family profile and length of residency, to assess the applicant's ability to contribute to Singapore and integrate into our society, as well as his or her commitment to sinking roots in Singapore.

A PR refers to a foreigner who has been granted permanent residence status which allows him/her to reside in Singapore on a permanent basis.  PRs aged 15 years and above will be issued with the Singapore blue Identity Card (IC). A PR is required to have a valid Re-Entry Permit if he/she wishes to travel out and return to Singapore as a PR.

ICA has no affiliation with any external migration agency/commercial entity which claims to be the Singapore immigration specialist/consultant or partner. ICA does not support or endorse services by self-proclaimed professional immigration consultancy service providers for Permanent Residence application.

Apply Online Documents Required
tooltip button

ICA accepts:

  • Translations provided by the embassy of the country that issued the document
  • Translations produced by a notary public in Singapore or the country that issued the document
  • Privately created translations attested by the embassy of the country that issued the document, or notarised by a notary public in Singapore or the country that issued the document.

ICA does not endorse any private translation companies or entities. Insufficient documentation may result in non-acceptance of your application. You may be required to provide additional documents to support your application.

You will need to read through the following explanatory notes and submit the required supporting documents listed below via the e-Service if you are a/an:

If you are a foreign investor in Singapore, you can apply for permanent residence at the Singapore Economic Development Board under the Global Investor Programme.


All permanent residence applications must be submitted online using the e-Service. Applicants can either key in the application details online, or download and complete the PR application form offline before submitting it online.

You may submit a PR application online with a valid Singpass account if you are a:
  • Singapore citizen or PR who is applying for PR for your spouse or unmarried child aged below 21 years old
  • Singapore citizen who is applying for PR for your aged parent
  • Employment Pass or S Pass holder who is applying for PR for self and spouse or unmarried child aged below 21 years old.

If you are a student currently studying in Singapore, you may access the e-Service using your Foreign Identification Number (FIN) and the issuance date of your valid immigration pass.

If you are a foreign investor in Singapore, you can apply for PR at the Singapore Economic Development Board under the Global Investor Programme.

For more information on e-Service accessibility, you may refer to the Frequently Asked Questions and PR application Step-by-Step guide available in the e-Service.


A S$100 non-refundable processing fee is payable for each applicant at the point of submission of PR application.

Payment can be made using

  • Visa or MasterCard credit/debit card or,
  • American Express (AMEX) credit card or,
  • Internet Direct Debit (DBS/POSB, OCBC, UOB and Standard Chartered Bank Internet Banking accounts in Singapore) or,
  • PayNow.


If your application is successful, you will need to complete PR formalities personally in our office at ICA. The following fees are applicable for each applicant:

  • S$20 for Entry Permit
  • S$50 for a 5-year Re-Entry Permit
  • S$50 for Identity Card
  • S$30 per Entry Visa (foreigners requiring a visa).

The above fees are payable via NETS, Credit Card (Visa/Mastercard) or Mobile Payment.

Processing Time

All applications for permanent residence are carefully considered and reviewed by ICA. The general processing time for each application is six months. Some applications may take longer to process.

You may check your PR application status online through MyICA or the e-Service. If your application is still in process, the status will be reflected as "Pending".

You will be informed of the outcome by email or post.

Additional Information

National Service Liability

Under the Enlistment Act, all male Singapore citizens and permanent residents, unless exempted, are required to serve National Service (NS). Following the completion of full-time NS, they will become Operationally Ready National Servicemen (NSmen). An NSman's obligation will end at the age of 50 years (for officers) or 40 years (for other ranks).

Main applicants who are granted PR status under the Professionals/Technical Personnel and Skilled Workers Scheme or the Investor Scheme, are exempted from NS.

Male applicants who are granted PR status as a Foreign Student or under their parents’ sponsorship are required to register for NS upon reaching 16½ years old and will be scheduled for enlistment at the earliest opportunity upon reaching 18 years old. MINDEF allows students to attain educational qualifications up to the 'A' Levels certificate, the polytechnic diploma or an equivalent before they are required to serve NS. They are enlisted at the earliest opportunity when they have finished such courses, or after turning 18 years old, whichever is later. MINDEF does not grant deferment for university studies, regardless of whether such studies have begun. All male applicants are required to access for information on NS deferment, pre-enlistment process and Exit Permit requirements, before proceeding with the application.

Males who are granted Singapore PR, and who were previously Singapore citizens or Singapore permanent residents, are liable to be called up for NS regardless of the scheme under which their PR status was granted.

Renouncing or losing one’s PR status without serving or completing full-time NS will have a serious adverse impact on applications to work or study in Singapore, or for any long-term immigration facilities in Singapore, whether now or in the future. Renouncing or losing one’s PR status without serving or completing full-time NS will also adversely affect your family members' applications for long-term immigration facilities, their ability to sponsor such facilities, their renewal of Re-Entry Permits, or their applications for Singapore citizenship.

For further enquiries, please contact:

Central Manpower Base
Contact No(s):
1800-3676767 (local)
65-65676767 (overseas)