Two Singapore Permanent Residents, 37-year-old Suresh Naidu Bojanki and 47-year-old Bharati Tulshiram Choudhari, will be charged in court on 2 July 2021 for breaching their Stay-Home Notice (SHN) requirements.
2. Both Suresh and Bharati will be charged for engaging in a conspiracy for Suresh to breach a term of his SHN, thereby exposing others to the risk of infection under Section 21A of the Infectious Diseases Act. Suresh is also facing an additional charge for failing to wear a mask under Regulation 3A of the COVID-19 (Temporary Measures) (Control Order) Regulations 2020.
3. On 14 March 2021, Suresh and Bharati were acquainted on the same flight to Singapore. They were each served with a 14-day SHN upon their arrival and informed by ICA officers that they were not allowed to leave their individual rooms in the dedicated facility nor were they allowed to have visitors for the duration of their SHN. Suresh and Bharati were subsequently conveyed to the same dedicated facility and assigned different rooms to serve their SHN.
4. On 20 March 2021, Suresh allegedly left his room and entered Bharati’s room without wearing a face mask at about 12.30am. He allegedly remained there for more than half an hour.
5. To safeguard our community’s health and safety, everyone needs to play their part and comply with the SHN requirements if they are subject to one. Those who fail to comply will be liable for prosecution under the Infectious Diseases Act or the COVID-19 (Temporary Measures) (Control Order) Regulations 2020. Upon conviction, first-time offenders are liable to punishment comprising a fine of up to S$10,000 and/or imprisonment of up to six months. Foreigners may face further administrative actions by ICA and/or MOM, such as revoking, or shortening the validity of permits and passes to remain/work in Singapore.
6. Members of the public can report information about anyone who fails to comply with their SHN requirements to ICA at go.gov.sg/reportshnbreach or call 6812 5555.
IMMIGRATION & CHECKPOINTS AUTHORITY
2 JULY 2021