Back to top

If a Singapore citizen or permanent resident had died overseas, the next of kin should register the death and get a death certificate from the foreign authorities in the country where the person had died. 

The deceased's next of kin will then need to report the death to ICA Registry of Births and Deaths. The reporting can also be done by a proxy with a letter of authorisation from the deceased's family.

Documents Required
tooltip button

You will need to provide the following documents:

  • Your identification document (NRIC, passport or citizenship certificate)
  • Death certificate issued by the foreign authorities or a certified true copy of the death certificate
  • Deceased’s identification documents (NRIC, Singapore passport or citizenship certificate)
  • Coffin import/export permit (if available)
  • Burial/cremation permit (if available)

Official translation will be required if any document is not in the English language. Please click on the tooltip (exclamation mark "!" above) for more details.


You may report a death that occured overseas with the required documents, via the following modes:

FormSG link:, or

Email to:, or

Mail to:

Registry of Births and Deaths
Citizen Services Centre
ICA Building
10 Kallang Road, Level 3
Singapore 208718


There is no fee for reporting a death that occured overseas.

Processing Time

The reporting of death will be processed within one working day upon receipt of all required documents stated above (refer to "Documents Required"). You may be required to submit additional information or supporting documents, where necessary.

You will receive an acknowledgement letter or email once the processing is completed.