A foreigner is required to apply for a Student’s Pass if he/she wishes to pursue full-time studies in Singapore in a EduTrusted private education organization (PEO) that is registered with the Council for Private Education (CPE).
With the Council for Private Education (CPE)’s launch of the Enhanced Registration Framework, from 21 Dec 2009, all PEOs will need to be awarded with EduTrust to offer school placement for foreign students. Student's Pass applications will be accepted only if they are for foreign students who are enrolled in a EduTrusted PEO. Please refer to http://www.cpe.gov.sg for a list of EduTrust-certified institutions.
A foreigner is exempted from applying for a Student’s Pass if he /she is a:
- Holder of the Immigration Exemption Order; or
- Visitor who has been granted a short term Visit Pass at the Singapore Checkpoint and wish to attend a short course that can be completed within the validity period of the initial Visit Pass granted to him/her at the Singapore checkpoint or 30 days, whichever is shorter.
However, this is only applicable if the course:
- Is a complete and stand-alone module of its own. (i.e. the courses should not have multiple programme modules); and
- Does not involve hands-on practical occupational training and/or industrial attachment which have interaction with walk-in customers or be conducted at premises that are also the places of business, e.g. hair salons and beauty salons.
New applications are to be submitted at least 2 months and not more than 6 months from the course commencement date.
Applicants are not required to be present in Singapore while their applications are being considered. Hence, applicants are advised to apply for a Student’s Pass before arriving in Singapore as no extension of stay will be granted while the applications are under processing.
Applicants are advised to enter Singapore to complete the formalities for the issuance of a Student’s Pass only after their applications have been approved. They will be issued with Student’s Passes within one month from the course commencement date.
New applications are to be submitted via the Student’s Pass OnLine Application & Registration+ (SOLAR+) system
If your school has yet to register with ICA for the use of SOLAR+
, your school can download the SOLAR+ registration form
from ICA's website and mail the completed form to ICA (Attention: Student’s Pass II Unit) for registration.
New applications by PRC nationals, who are above 19 years old (i.e, passed their 19th birthday at the time their applications are submitted to ICA) and wish to attend a language, commercial, vocational or fine arts non-graduate/postgraduate degree course [including the University of London (UOL) tuition programmes], will be routed to the Singapore Embassy in Beijing (where an interview with the applicant may be required) for processing before routing to ICA for assessment. The applications will be routed directly to ICA for assessment if the PRC nationals are intending to take up a full-time course at an approved PEO that is awarded the 4 years EduTrust Star/EduTrust status.
The general processing time for a new application is about 4 weeks [2 weeks for PEOs that are awarded the 4 years EduTrust Star/EduTrust status] upon the receipt of a duly completed application by ICA. Some applications may however take a longer time to process. The PEO will be notified of the outcome via SOLAR+ system
Renewal of Student's Passes
Students who wish to continue to take the same course
in the same school
may renew their Student’s Passes via the SOLAR+ system.
Applications to renew a Student’s Pass are to be submitted via the SOLAR+ system 2 weeks before the expiry of the existing Student’s Pass.
The general processing time for a renewal application is 5 working days. Some applications may take a longer time to process.
Transfer of Schools / Courses of Study
Applicants who wish to apply for a new Student’s Pass in order to take up a different course or to study in a different PEO, are to submit an application for the transfer of school/course of study at least 4 weeks before the course begins.
The general processing time for an application to transfer school/course is 5 working days. Some applications may take a longer time to process.
No local sponsor is required.
When the application for a Student’s Pass is approved, an In-Principle Approval (IPA) letter will be issued for the applicant to complete the formalities and collect the Student’s Pass card at ICA. The Security Deposit if required, would be indicated in the IPA letter to the applicant. Please click here for a copy of the Security Bond Form.
The amount of Security Deposit (if required) will be furnished in the form of a Banker's Guarantee as listed in the table below:
||Rate per Person
||Bangladesh, Myanmar, People's Republic of China & India
||Indonesia, Philippines & Thailand
Applicants are not required to furnish a Security Deposit if they are
- Nationals from Malaysia and Brunei;
- Holders of valid Dependant’s Pass, long term Visit Pass and work pass;
- Children/Spouse of Singapore Citizens/Permanent Residents;
- Foreign students who attend a full-time course at an approved PEO that is awarded the 4 years EduTrust Star/EduTrust status;
- Foreign students who pursue a full-time university degree (Graduate/Post-Graduate) programme, except for the University of London (UOL) tuition programme, at an approved PEO; and
- Below 16 years old at the point of application.
The Security Deposit is refundable provided the student has not breached any of the conditions stated in the Security Bond executed by the student and his/her departure from Singapore is confirmed by ICA. Generally, it takes about 6 weeks to process the refund of the Security Deposit upon the cancellation or expiry of the Student's Pass.
Completion of Formalities
Foreign students issued with IPA letters are required to complete formalities in person at ICA's office, 4th storey, ICA Building. Applicants must be in Singapore on a valid Immigration pass to collect the Student's Pass. The completion of formalities is strictly by appointment only. Please use our e-appointment facility at http://eappointment.ica.gov.sg. Applicants are required to bring along the documents required for collection of the Student's Pass as stated in the IPA letters.
A processing fee of $30 is required for every application submitted to ICA. The fee is non-refundable regardless of the outcome of the application or if application is withdrawn after submission. For submission via SOLAR+, please make payment by credit/debit card or internet banking.
A $60 issuance fee for every student’s pass issued and a further $30 multiple-entry visa fee for visa required nationals, where applicable. The fee is payable when the successful applicant completes the formality to collect the Student’s Pass.
Prior to collection of Student's Pass, applicant has to acknowledge a copy of the Terms & Conditions of Student's Pass (STP) Card. Please click here for copy of the form.
Cancellation of Student's Passes
Foreign students are required to surrender their Student's Pass cards for cancellation within 7 days from the date of cessation or termination of their study.
With effect from 3 Nov 2008, schools can now submit an application of Student’s Pass cancellation online via a new e-service, namely e-Cancellation (the module can be accessed via SOLAR+).
For those who are unable to submit the cancellation online may submit the following documents to the Student’s Pass Unit, from Monday to Friday (8am to 4.30pm), Saturday (8am to 12.30pm) by obtaining a queue ticket at the Self Service Kiosk 1 at Visitor Services Centre, 4th Storey ICA Building, with the following documents:
- A duly completed cancellation form;
- Student’s valid travel document;
- The Student's Pass Card;
- Student’s Visit Pass and Disembarkation/Embarkation Card; and
- A duly completed Disembarkation/Embarkation Card (IMM Form 27A), where applicable (will be provided at ICA counters).
Change of Local Address
According to the Immigration Regulations 8(5)(b), the foreign student is required to report any changes in his/her address in Singapore within 14 days of such change.
Schools can now login to SOLAR+ via 'e-Update of Address' to report any changes in the student’s address. An acknowledgement will be sent within minutes if the report is successfully registered by the system.
Alternatively, the student may also deposit the ‘Change of Address’ form into the drop-box located at the Student's Pass Unit near Counter 19. It will take 2 weeks to process the application and the student will be informed of the outcome by post.
Other Important Information
- For the application of a Student’s Pass, an applicant must be accepted into an approved full-time course. An applicant who wishes to take up a part-time course or a course conducted in the evening or weekend will NOT be eligible for a Student’s Pass.
- The applicant and school will have to furnish additional documents and information whenever necessary.
- Official/Notarised translation of the documents is required if they are not in the English language.
- All forms are to be duly completed and signed by the applicant and the school. No part of the form should be left blank or incomplete. If any section or part of the form is not applicable, it should be filled as ‘Nil’ or ‘Not applicable (N.A.). Applications with incomplete forms or documents will NOT be accepted for processing.
- Applicant has to call in person with a valid immigration pass to collect the Student’s Pass only after the application has been approved. The Student’s Pass will only be issued if the conditions as stipulated in the In-Principle Approval letter, are fulfilled.
- ICA may share your personal information with other government agencies to process any applications you have made or to render you a service, so as to serve you in a most efficient and effective way, unless such sharing is prohibited by legislation.
- ICA reserves the right to verify the authenticity of the documents submitted in the application with the relevant issuing authorities or through the affiliated government agencies.