• For Citizens
  • For Permanent Residents
  • For Visitors

Polytechnic and University

Link to Student’s Pass Online Application and Registration+ (SOLAR+) Related eServices: Student's Pass Online Application and Registration (SOLAR)

» Overview
» New Application
» Processing Time
» Completion of Formalities
» Fees
» Renewal / Extension of Student's Pass
» Cancellation of Student's Pass
» Change of Address
» Other Important Information to Note


All foreigners, other than Immigration Exemption Order holders, are required to apply for a Student’s Pass if he/she wishes to pursue full-time studies in an Institute of Higher Learning (IHL).

To apply for a Student’s Pass, a foreign student must first be accepted and offered a place as a full-time matriculated or registered student in the following IHL in Singapore:

The List of IHL Includes:

Local Universities

  • National University of Singapore
  • Nanyang Technological University
  • Singapore Management University
  • Singapore Institute of Technology 
  • Singapore University of Technology and Design
Local Polytechnics
  • Nanyang Polytechnic
  • Ngee Ann Polytechnic
  • Republic Polytechnic
  • Singapore Polytechnic
  • Temasek Polytechnic
Offshore Institutes with Local Campuses
  • Ecole Superieure Des Sciences Economiques Et Commerciales (ESSEC)
  • Insead (Singapore)
  • S P Jain School of Global Management Pte Ltd 
  • The University of Chicago Booth School of Business (Singapore)
  • University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV) Singapore
  • DigiPen Institute of Technology Singapore
  • German Institute of Science and Technology - TUM Asia 
  •  Sorbonne Assas International Law School
New Application 

New applications for a Student’s Pass must be submitted at least one month and not more than 2 months before the commencement of the course.

Applications must be submitted through the Student’s Pass On-Line Application & Registration (SOLAR) system.

Submission of Application Through SOLAR

(i) Registration of Application by IHL
Before the foreign student submits an application for Student’s Pass through SOLAR, the IHL must first register the student through SOLAR with the following information:
  • Name, date of birth, gender and nationality of the student (as appear in travel document);
  • Course details, course commencement and course end dates; and
  • SOLAR application reference number.
(ii) Submission of eForm 16 by Student
Once the IHL has successfully registered the student, the student may login to SOLAR to submit eForm 16. Applicants must have the following information before logging into SOLAR:
  • A registration acknowledgement notice with the login information provided by the IHL;
  • Travel document/passport details (including travel document/passport number, date of expiry, etc);
  • NRIC/FIN of parents if the student’s parents are Singaporeans or foreigners who are working or residing in Singapore;
  • Singapore’s address and contact details (if not available, please provide the school’s registered address); and
  • Applicant’s email address.
  • One recent passport-sized colour photograph (to be pasted on the top-right corner of eForm 16) and must meet the following requirements:
    • Image must be taken within the last 3 months
    • Photograph should be in colour, must be taken against a white background with a matt or semi-matt finish
    • Image must show the full face and without headgear (headgear worn in accordance with religious or racial customs is acceptable but must not hide the facial features

Upon submission of the eForm 16 through SOLAR, students are required to print a copy of the eForm for submission to the Student’s Pass Unit, ICA, to complete formalities for the issuance of a Student’s Pass (if the application is successful).

ICA may request some applicants to furnish additional documents in support of the application, where necessary.

Processing Time

The processing time is within 5 working days (excluding date of submission) for foreigners who do not require a visa to enter Singapore. For foreigners who require a visa to enter Singapore, the processing time is 10 full working days (excluding date of submission). Some applications may take a longer time to process.

During the July/August peak period, applications may take a longer time to process. Students are strongly advised to submit their applications early.

Completion of Formalities

Successful applicants will be issued with an in-principle approval (IPA) letter by ICA through the IHL. For applicants who require a visa to enter Singapore, a visa will be incorporated in the IPA letter. Students need not apply for a separate visa and may enter Singapore by producing the IPA letter at the checkpoints.

ICA, in collaboration with the Institute of Higher Learning, conducts offsite enrolment on an ad hoc basis for the issuance of student's passes. Where applicable, the institution will advise applicant on the date, time and venue for the offsite enrolment. After the applicant has arrived in Singapore, he/she is required to report for offsite enrolment as scheduled for the issuance of a Student's pass. For applicant not scheduled for offsite enrolment he/she is required to call in person at Visitor Services Centre 4th Storey, ICA Building for completion of formality.

With effect from 1 April 2009, all completion of formalities is strictly by appointment only. Please use our e-appointment facility to select the preferred date and time to complete formalities. On the date of the appointment, proceed to the Self-Service Ticketing Kiosk 3 located at Visitor Services Centre 4th Storey, ICA Building to obtain a queue ticket. The applicant is advised to be punctual for the appointment.

On arrival in Singapore, students are required to report to the Student’s Pass Unit, 4th floor, ICA Building, for completion of formalities for the issuance of a Student’s Pass within the duration of the social visit pass granted at the checkpoint.

Note that the Student’s Pass will only be issued not more than one month before the commencement of the course. Applicants are required to ensure that they remain in Singapore on a valid pass at all times.

Students are required to furnish the following documents for completion of formalities:

  • The student’s valid passport. A copy of the passport particulars page must be submitted;
  • The Disembarkation/Embarkation card of the student, granted on entry into Singapore. If the student is currently residing in Singapore on other long term passes, he/she is required to bring along that pass;
  • One recent colour passport-sized photograph (taken on white background);
  • The printout of eForm 16 submitted through SOLAR (duly signed by the applicant);
  • A copy of the in-principle approval letter; and
  • A medical report in the prescribed format (available on ICA’s website).

The medical examination can be done in the student’s home country if he/she has never resided in Singapore on any long term immigration passes previously. However, it must be done on the prescribed medical report form and submitted with the relevant laboratory reports. An official translation of the laboratory reports is required if it is not in the English language.

Students who have been residing in Singapore on any other long term immigration passes currently are required to undergo the medical examination in Singapore, if the medical examination is done more than 2 years ago.

At the time of submission, the laboratory reports must not be more than 3 months from the date of issue. Students who failed to fulfill the medical requirements will not be issued with a Student’s Pass.

If the student wishes to update ICA on his/her latest local address, he/she is required to submit a change of address form when completing formalities for the issuance of a Student’s Pass.


S$30 Processing Fee

For the application of Student's Pass, a processing fee of S$30 will be collected at the time of submission.  The fee collected is non-refundable regardless of the outcome of the application or if you have withdrawn the application after submission.  For submission via SOLAR, please make payment by credit/debit card or internet banking.

S$60 Issuance Fee
For the Student Pass to be issued, an issuance fee of S$60 will be collected.  A further $30 multiple-entry visa fee will be charged for visa required nationals.  The fee will be collected at the time of collection.

Please note that prior to collection of Student's Pass, applicant has to bring along  a signed copy of the "Terms & Conditions for Student's Pass (STP) Card". Please click here for copy of the form.

Renewal/Extension of Student’s Pass

Generally, foreign students studying in an IHL are granted Student’s Pass for the full-duration of the course.

Students who require an extension of the Student’s Pass beyond the initial course duration may submit an application to renew the Student’s Pass through

  1. SOLAR
  2. Student's valid travel document;
  3. The Student's Pass Card (IMM Form 17A);
  4. Student's Visit Pass and Disembarkation/Embarkation Card (IMM Form 15A)
If the student wishes to have a longer period of stay to look for jobs on completion of their courses, he/she may submit an application for a one-year (non-renewable) long term social visit pass at the Social Visit Pass Unit for consideration. 

Cancellation of Student's Passes

Foreign students are required to surrender their Student's Passes for cancellation within seven days from the date of cessation or termination of their study. With effect from 3 Nov 2008, school can now submit an application of Student’s Pass cancellation online via a new e-service, namely e-Cancellation (the module can be accessed via SOLAR). For those who are unable to submit cancellation online may submit the following documents to the Student’s Pass Unit, with a queue ticket obtainable at the Self Service Kiosk 1 at Visitor Services Centre, 4th storey of ICA Building, from Mon to Fri (8am to 4.30pm), Sat (8am to 12.30pm):
  • A duly completed cancellation form;
  • Student’s valid travel document;
  • The Student's Pass Card;
  • Student’s Visit Pass and Disembarkation/Embarkation Card; and
  • A duly completed Disembarkation/Embarkation Card (IMM Form 27A), where applicable (will be provided at ICA counters).

Change of Address

In accordance with the Immigration Regulations 8(5)(b), the foreign student is required to report any change in his/her address in Singapore within 14 days of such change.  Application for change of local address will not be accepted at the counters.  However, applicants may deposit the Change of Address form into the drop-box located at the Student's Pass Unit near Counter 19.  The processing time for such request will be 2 weeks.  Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their applications by post.

Other Information to Note

ICA may share your personal information with other Government agencies to process any applications you have made or to render you a service, so as to serve you in a most efficient and effective way, unless such sharing is prohibited by legislation.

Dependant’s Pass Holders Applying to Study in an Institute of Higher Learning

Dependant’s Pass holder who wishes to study in an IHL is also required to apply for a Student’s Pass (application must be made through SOLAR).  However, if the duration of the course is shorter than the duration of the Dependant's Pass, the student may opt to be issued with a Letter of Consent (LOC) to study in the institute.

Dependant's Pass holder requesting for a LOC to study in the IHL must indicate his/her intention in writing to ICA.  The student must submit a copy of the eForm 16, a copy of his/her travel document particulars page and the letter indicating his/her intention to be issued with a LOC to ICA.

The documents can be submitted to ICA at the Student's Pass Unit or sent to ICA by post.  The LOC will be sent to the student by post.

Work Privileges for IHL Students 

Under the Employment of Foreign Workers Act (Cap 91A, S4) Work Permit (Exemption) (Consolidation) Notification, foreign students studying in IHL are exempted from applying for a Work Permit if they wish to work during vacation time.

The exemption to apply for a Work Permit is also applicable to specific IHL students who do not work more than 16 hours per week during term time.  Students are strongly advised to check under the relevant section of the Employment of Foreign Works Act on the work privileges granted to their institutions.

back to top

Last updated on 26 Oct 2014