All foreigners, except Dependant’s Pass/Immigration Exemption Order holders, who wish to study in a Government/ Government-aided/ Independent school are required to apply for a Student’s Pass.
A local sponsor is required for the application of a Student’s Pass. The local sponsor must be a Singapore Citizen (SC) or Singapore Permanent Resident (SPR) above the age of 21 years old. Companies/Organisations are not allowed to act as sponsors.
If any of the applicant’s parents/ step-parents is a SC/ SPR, the Student’s Pass application must be sponsored by the SC/SPR parent or step-parent.
With effect from 2 Nov 09, all new applications must be submitted via the Student's Pass Online Application & Registration+ system (SOLAR+) at least one month before the commencement of the course.
(i) From School
A SOLAR+ Registration Acknowledgement Letter issued by the School.
(ii) From Student
Using the unique SOLAR+ Reference Number indicated on the Registration Acknowledgement Letter, the student can complete the application forms(i.e. eForm 16 on Student's Details and eV103 on Student's Parents). via login to SOLAR+
(iii) From Local Sponsor
The local sponsor will then login to SOLAR+ to sponsor (i.e. Undertaking by Local Sponsor on V39s and V39Q) the STP application and submit it to ICA for processing.
Renewal of Student’s Pass
Applications for renewal of Student’s Pass must be submitted through (SOLAR+) at least 2 weeks before the commencement of the course.
Important Information To Note
- Applicant and local sponsor will have to furnish additional documents and information whenever necessary.
- Original documents may be required to be produced for verification.
- Official/Notarised translation of the documents is required if they are not in the English language.
- A letter of explanation must be attached to the application if any of the required additional documents cannot be produced.
- All application forms must be duly completed and signed by the applicant/ applicant’s parent and the local sponsor at the relevant sections. Incomplete application forms will NOT be accepted for completion of formalities.
- ICA reserves the rights to verify the authenticity of the documents submitted in the application with the relevant issuing authorities or through the affiliated government agencies.
- ICA may share your personal information with other Goverment agencies to process any applications you have made or to render you a service, so as to serve you in an efficient and effective way, unless such sharing is prohibited by legislation.
- For change of local sponsor or transfer of school after the application has been approved, a fresh application must be submitted to ICA through SOLAR+ for consideration.
The processing time is 5 full working days upon receipt of a duly completed application by ICA. The student/local sponsor will be notified of the outcome via SOLAR+ system.
Note: Some applications may however take a longer time to process and the processing time may be extended during the peak periods.
Completion of Formalities
Foreign students issued with In-Principle Approval (IPA) letters are required to complete formalities in person at ICA Office, 4th Storey, ICA Building. Applicants must be in Singapore on a valid immigration pass to collect the Student's Pass. The completion of formalities is strictly by appointment only. Please use our e-Appointments facility at http://eappointment.ica.gov.sg . Applicants are required to bring along the documents required for collection of the Student's Pass as stated in the IPA letters.
(i) Processing Fee
A processing fee of $30 is required for every application submitted to ICA. The fee is non-refundable regardless of the outcome of the application or if application is withdrawn after submission. For submission via SOLAR+ please make payment by credit/debit card or internet banking.
(ii) Issuance Fee
A $60 issuance fee for every student's pass issued and a further $30 multiple-entry visa fee for visa required nationals, where applicable. The fee is payable when the successful applicant completes the formality to collect the Student's Pass.
Prior to collection of Student's Pass, applicant has to acknowledge a copy of the "Terms & Conditions of Student's Pass (STP)" card. Please click here for a copy of the form.
Change of Address
In accordance with the Immigration Regulations 8(5)(b), the foreign student is required to report any change in his/ her address in Singapore within 14 days of such change. The student or the local sponsor who wish to report the change of their local address are required to submit their request via e-Update of Address. Local Sponsor can now login to Solar+, key in the new address, click on the submit button and within minutes will be informed of the outcome.
Application for change of local address will not be accepted at the counters. However, applicants who are unable to submit online may deposit the Change of Address form into the drop-box located at the Student's Pass Unit near Counter 19. The processing time for such requests will be 2 weeks. Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their applications by post.
Cancellation of Student's Pass
Foreign Students are required to surrender their Student’s Passes for cancellation within 7 days from the date of cessation or termination of their study. The student or the local sponsor may approach the Student’s Pass Unit at ICA with the following documents for the cancellation:
(a) A letter from the student or local sponsor indicating the intention to cancel the Student’s Pass.
(b) The foreign student’s travel document and a copy of the travel document page showing the student’s full particulars (document must have at least 6 months’ validity).
(c) Student’s Pass (IMM Form 17A) and Disembarkation/ Embarkation (IMM Form 15A) cards.
(d) The foreign student is required to complete a Disembarkation/ Embarkation card (IMM Form 27A).